Don’t jump to a solution when presented with a problem. Improve your team’s ability to explore many varied ideas by writing “How Might We…” or “Ways of” statements.
- After spending time with users and the problem context, you will have identified both challenges and opportunity areas.
- For each challenge, write a “How Might We…” statement. “How might we make staff feel recognized for their great work?”
- Sort the “How Might We…” statements into groups that might share similar types of solutions.
- A group of similar “How Might We…” statements might suggest an overall approach to a solution.
- Reflect and discuss which “How Might We…” groupings seem the most promising.
- Seed your brainstorm sessions with these “How Might We…” statements to generate many possible ideas.