Innovative solutions are more than a single idea. A solution map lays out all the key elements and characteristics of an offering that work together to implement a focused strategy.
- Work out the first versions on a large easel pad with a chisel tip marker. Title the page with your solution concept.
- Brainstorm elements of your solution on individual sticky notes. Title them clearly.
- Reflect and choose the smaller ideas that are components or characteristics of the bigger, key elements.
- Draw lines between ideas and elements that support or reinforce each other.
- If you’re fairly early in the project, use the map to stimulate additional ideas that would support the solution.
- Reorganize as circles and lines on another page to make the overall map clearer.
- Take time to share the map to get feedback.