Look for simple ways to try out early ideas with users in the real world. You’re not validating your ideas, but rather testing and shaping them quickly and iteratively.
- First, articulate your insights, vision and idea on paper.
- Identify the riskiest assumptions in them and brainstorm a list of potential solutions to those assumptions.
- Brainstorm experiments that can be run quickly (starting today or tomorrow). Narrow down to one or two and describe what you’re trying to learn.
- Perform the experiment in the real world. Bring in multiple users to get feedback.
- What did you learn about your hypotheses? Based on what you learned, what would you keep the same and what would you do differently?
- Modify or completely change the experiment and try again to keep learning.