Find two dimensions and plot elements on a simple chart to show patterns or gaps in the information. Use it to make a case for targeting an area with ideas or to shift strategy.
- Any list of similar elements can be placed on a 2×2: a set of ideas, competitors in a market, or elements of a user experience.
- Try different dimensions to spread the ideas out on the map—things like cost, quality, time, ease of implementation, etc.
- Cross two of the dimensions and plot your elements. If they spread out or form an interesting pattern, you’re on to something!
- If they don’t spread out, you haven’t found a dimension that differentiates the list of elements.
- Play with a few different 2×2s that work.
- Facilitate a reflective discussion about what the pattern might mean for your project. There may be a gap in the chart suggesting an untapped area to target.