Texting messaging systems can range from vendor-hosted platforms to “off-the-shelf” solutions to services available through current electronic health record systems.
As you conduct research to select a vendor or platform that works best with your organization’s current needs and future plans for texting, consider the following:
- Options for bi-directional or one-directional texting
- Ability to integrate with other systems at the organization
- Level of external support and assistance provided
- Level of internal IT support needed
- Short-term and long-term costs (e.g., set-up fees, per message fees)
- Security and potential data breach risks
- Platform options for sending messages with logic or on specific schedules
- Options for monitoring texts and analyzing texting data
- Ability to customize platforms and data reporting
For a list of vendors and types of text messaging systems used in CCI’s Texting for Better Care program, see report Text Messaging in the Healthcare Safety Net.