Innovators often change a fundamental assumption that defines an industry, product, or service. Play with Value Curves to imagine how you might change things.
- Use sticky notes to brainstorm the fundamental dimensions of your industry’s offering.
- Line up the industry dimensions along the bottom of a chart. The vertical axis is “importance or level of offering ” and goes from low to high.
- Plot your organization’s curve on the dimensions.
- Plot competitors on the dimensions. Look for significant patterns.
- Now, consider radically changing one or more of the dimensions. Try offering way more or less quality in one or more dimensions or eliminating some.
- Consider adding dimensions that customers would value and would differentiate your solution.
- Continue playing with the dimensions to better understand the current industry and possible strategies for improvement.