In this one-day workshop, you will get an introduction to diabetes management. Topics covered include:
- Basics of Medical Nutrition Therapy for Diabetes
- Overview of Pharmacological treatment: Oral agents, Insulin Therapies, and Insulin Adjustment Basics
- Prevention and Treatment of hypoglycemia
- Overview of lifestyle changes that support glycemic control
This continuing education activity was approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider #12640 for 7.5 contact hours, and approved for 6.5 CPE II for Registered Dietitians by the Commission on Dietetic Registration. CEU will be awarded to you by the end of the training day.
What you’ll learn
At the conclusion of the program, the successful participant will be able to:
- Describe the basic pathophysiology of diabetes.
- Compare the four types of diabetes.
- List the diabetes management guidelines as outlined by the American Diabetes Association
- Discuss three key concepts of medical nutrition therapy.
- Compare the different classes of diabetes medications.
- Understand glucose patterns; the highs and the lows
- Discuss practical approaches to diabetes education –from hospital to home.
Who should attend?
This training is well-suited to any clinical staff working with diabetic patients who do not yet have a CDE. If space is available, we may be able to accommodate the Clinical Health Educators and Health Educators who teach our diabetes education programs in this training. This is not a program we sponsor for care managers, or other staff, who are planning to recertify for the CDE.
Please note: This training is only open to those who have not taken the training in the past 2 years. Verify that you have not taken this training in the last 2 years prior to submitting your request.
Training Date: April 23, 2018
Training Hours: 8:00 am – 4:00 pm
Location: Kaiser Permanente Regional Offices
1950 Franklin Street, Conference Dining Room
Oakland, CA 94612
Beverly Thomassian, RN, MPH, CDE, BC-ADM | Diabetes Educational Services
Reminder: Verify that you have not taken this training in the last 2 years prior to submitting your request. KP will also have to approve your attendance after approval by the CCI PHASE team.