Food Insecurity Site Visit: Northeast Valley Health Corporation
Date: Wednesday, November 6, 2019 at 9:30 am – 4:00 pm
Location: Sylmar, CA
Site Visit Location: NEVHC Foothill Office -13803 Foothill Blvd Suite 200, Sylmar, CA 91342
Site Visit Highlights:
- Their philosophy for addressing social needs;
- Work on collecting and using social needs data;
- Pop Up Food Market, where healthy foods are distributed to patients;
- Demonstration Garden, NEVHC’s very own community garden.
Northeast Valley Health Corporation was incorporated in 1971 by a group of San Fernando Valley civic leaders who envisioned establishing a healthcare system that catered to the medical needs of the local community. They opened San Fernando Health Center in 1973 and celebrated its dedication with the late U.S. Senator Ted. Kennedy.
Today, NEVHC has grown to 14 health centers in the San Fernando and Santa Clarita valleys and continue to serve the uninsured and the medically underserved patients with limited financial resources. Nearly 70,000 patients receive medical, dental and behavioral health care at our health centers every year. NEVHC, one of the nation’s largest community health centers, is a nonprofit Joint Commission accredited Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC).
- 10:00 am – 11:00 am – Welcome & Introductions
- 11:00 am – 12:00 pm – Overview of SDOH and Food Insecurity at NEVHC
- 12:00 pm – 12:30 pm – Panel with Clinic Staff
- 12:30 pm – 1:30 pm – Lunch & Travel
- 1:30 pm – 2:00 pm – Visit to the Pop Up Food Market
- 2:00 pm – 3:00 pm – Visit the Demonstration Gardens
- 3:00 pm – 4:00 pm – Q&A & Wrap Up
Questions related to the site visit can be emailed to Diana Nguyen.